The neogothic City Hall of Sint-Niklaas was finished in 1878. Today, roughly 140 years later, it is still the biggest eye-catcher in Belgium's largest market Square. However, its location is based on one of the biggest violations of building regulations in the history of Sint-Niklaas.
According to the deed of donation by Margaretha of Constantinopel, the market Square was to be left without building and remain in service of the people of Sint-Niklaas. However, in 1840 a first City Hall was built here. In 1874 the structure burned down. By 1878, it was replaced by the current neogothic building. In the twentieth century, the city hall was enlarged with two sober and modern wings to reflect the city's large demographic growth.
Today, the building still functions as city hall. The magnificent wedding room gives you a wonderful view on the large market Square. In order to optimize the city's services towards its inhabitants, the city hall will get a makeover in 2017-2018. One of the priorities during this makeover is the City shop.